The 51st Haryana Day was observed on 1 November 2016. The day was observed as Haryana Golden Jubilee (Swarna Jyanti) across the state. The day marks completion of 50 years of Haryana’s existence as a state of the federal map of India. The year will be celebrated as Haryana Swarna Jyanti from 1 November 2016 to 31 October 2017.
Highlights of the Haryana Swarna Jyanti celebrations
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the Chief Guest of the opening ceremony of the year-long golden jubilee celebrations. The opening ceremony will be held in Tau Devi Lal Stadium, Gurugram.
• Prof. Kaptan Singh Solanki, governor the state will be the Guest of Honour of the celebrations.
• The state government declared 1 November 2016 as a public holiday in Gurugram district under Section 25 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881.
To mark the occasion, the Chief Minster Manohar Lal Khattar announced a string of incentives for people of the state on 31 October 2016. The incentives include
• Social security pension: Grants for existing schemes like old age pension, widow pension and pension for those with special needs was hiked from 1400 rupees per month to 1600 rupees per month. The notification that will benefit some 11 lakh people will come into effect from 1 November 2016. This would entail an expenditure of 88 crore rupees.
• Financial assistance to destitute children: It was hiked to 700 rupees per month from existing 500 rupees. The sum for non-school going differently-abled children was raised to 1000 rupees per month from 700 rupees.
• Fiscal help to ex-servicemen (aged 60 and above), those disabled or paraplegic, their orphaned children and 1962, 1965 and 1971 war widows, has been raised to 3000 rupees per month.
• Khattar also announced raise of honorarium of home guards to 572 rupees per day from 300 rupees.